Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Internship at Nike!

Hey all,
Wow, it has been a while since I have last written! Whew. Since Domestic plant trek a lot has happened:

  • Family and I moved to Oregon.
  • Experienced a huge snow storm in Oregon (shoveling snow... I thought I was done with that when I left Boston! haha).
  • Started working at Nike.
  • International Plant Trek.
I don't really have much of an excuse for not writing any new posts, except that I am not sure how much I can write about my Nike work on this blog. At Nike I am working on a supply chain project to optimize inventory management for Nike's replenishment business. The principles I learned in Operations Management and Logistics Systems have been invaluable for this project. I thought managing inventory would be easy prior to LGO, but I have since learned how difficult it actually is! If you have too much you are left with excess inventory and if you have too little you lose sales! 

Nike so far has been an amazing experience. The campus is beautiful and the collaborative work culture is refreshing. Work really has be socialized with most groups that would be affected, so what ends up happening is that there are all sorts of meetings you have to attend or schedule. Nike also has a great gym (what else would you expect from a sports company) with all sorts of classes and pick-up games. I'm playing ultimate frisbee (I am one of the worst players, but that is ok!) and attending some pilates classes. In addition, I've started to bike to work (only 6.5 miles one way to work) as well so I have started to get back into shape. 

The reason I have time to write this post is because I am sitting in Portland's airport waiting to catch a flight to Boston. What is funny is that I actually paid $75 yesterday morning to get an earlier flight. What ended up happening this morning was that my flight actually was delayed so I would miss my connection (in Denver) to Boston. So now I am arriving later into Boston and out $75. I hope United Airlines refunds me that amount, but we'll see what happens. I'm just glad that I am arriving in Boston at all now... The reason I'm going to Boston is for LGO's Midstream review where I share what I have been working on at Nike to my classmates.

No comments: