Sunday, June 23, 2013

Why leaving GE was difficult

Related to my post about why MIT LGO and why now is this post about why I decided to leave GE and pursue a full time MBA. This post is about why it was so difficult for me to leave GE and come to MIT.

1. Unique rotational program for junior military officers.
At GE I was hired on under the Junior Officer Leadership Program (JOLP). What that really meant was that I was working as a Lean Six Sigma Black belt and rotating amongst different functions in GE Power and Water (the Aeroderivatives business which has now been subsumed into the Distributed Power business). Not many other companies of GE's caliber offered up true rotational programs for junior military officers. I did receive an offer from Siemens for the Sales and Marketing Development Program but the salary and rotations were really geared towards those straight out of college and not the military.

If you want to know more about the program you can see the link below:
http://www.ge.com/careers/culture/us-veterans/junior-officer-leadership-program

2. Opportunity to work in a great industry.
The energy industry is one that I have a great deal of respect for and interest in because it underlies most of what allows modern society to operate. I had a taste of working in that industry at GE and I would not mind working in it post-LGO.

3. Adding up a few more moves for the family.
Moving with a family is difficult and thinking about the added stress of a move to business school, a move for an internship, a move back to school, and then a further move to a permanent job was a bit daunting. After a year in Houston we were just making friends. 

No comments: