Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Who am I?

I'm John Kang and will be starting the Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program this June as part of the class of 2015. Coming along with me is my beautiful wife Susan and our two sons (Isaac and Jonah). We will be moving from the Galleria area of Houston, TX and are excited to live on the east coast again (my wife and I both went to college nearby MIT).

Currently, I am wrapping up work with GE Power & Water as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (as a member of the Junior Officer Leadership Program). Before this I worked as an Engineer Officer for the US Army stationed primarily out of Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Before the Army I studied Mechanical Engineering for a BS (from the United States Military Academy) and MS (from Stanford University) with some course-work and research in energy and robotics.

I decided to start this blog for 3 reasons:
1. To archive my journey as a member of the LGO class of 2015.
2. Provide a service to those interested in the LGO program (LGO bloggers who have come before me have helped me understand the program much better than if I had to rely solely on the LGO website).
3. To keep my friends and family updated on my progress through this program.

Some of the future blog topics I will be covering are:

  • The application process
  • Visits to MIT LGO: Ambassador Day, Interviewfest, and Open House
  • US Military Veteran perspectives at LGO (I am not the only US Military veteran in my class)
  • The move process from Houston to Cambridge for a family of four
  • Why LGO and why now?
  • Why not stay at GE?
  • Why did you pick Engineering Systems for your MS?

I have had some problems with blog.com so I am starting this blog anew. If you would like to read some of my old posts about leaving the Army and working for GE, see this link: http://johnkangw.blog.com/

No comments: